2 medium onions, minced
1 Tbsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 lb. thin-skinned potatoes, cubed
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen peas, thawed and drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Salt to taste
9 full sheets of phyllo (filo) pastry, thawed and kept covered
Oil for brushing tops
• In a large, lightly oiled frying pan, sauté the onions until they are limp. Add the coriander, cumin and cayenne and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the potatoes, peas and cilantro. Mix well and add salt to taste. Allow to cool.
• Stack four sheets of phyllo together and cut into four rectangles with a pair of kitchen scissors or a sharp knife. Repeat with the remaining phyllo. You should have 36 rectangles. Keep the phyllo well covered with plastic wrap while you work.
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
• For each roll, place about 3 Tbsp. of filling in one corner of a rectangle of phyllo. Roll the filled corner toward the center, fold in the left and right corners, like an envelope, then roll up again. Cover the filled rolls with plastic wrap while you assemble the remaining rolls.
• Place rolls, seam-side down, on lightly oiled cookie sheets. Brush the tops with oil and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Makes 36 samosas