2 cups soy milk
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. caraway seeds
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. margarine (try Earth Balance brand)
1/2 cup sugar (try Florida Crystals brand)
4 cups unbleached flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. salt
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Grease a heavy, 9-inch, oven-proof skillet.
• Combine the soy milk with the vinegar to create “buttermilk.”
• In a large bowl, stir together the “buttermilk,” raisins, caraway seeds, and baking soda.
• In a separate bowl, whip together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the “buttermilk” mixture.
• In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
• Using a mixer on medium-low setting, gradually add the flour mixture to the other mixed ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
• Pour the batter into the greased skillet and bake for 60 minutes.
• Remove the bread from the skillet and cool for a half hour.
• Cut into wedges and serve warm with margarine.
Makes 6 to 8 servings