For Sage’s Vanilla Cake:
(This cake is a great foundational recipe—enjoy!)
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 3/4 cups dehydrated cane sugar
1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. vinegar
2/3 cup canola or safflower oil
2 cups water
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Place parchment paper on the bottom of 2 9-inch-by-13-inch pans.
• Mix all the ingredients until smooth. Divide the batter evenly into the 2 pans.
• Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
For Sage’s Tiramisu Mocha Rum Sauce:
1/4 cup rum
1/2 cup Sage’s Chocolate Syrup (see recipe)
1/2 cup espresso
• Mix all the ingredients until smooth.
For Sage’s Mascarpone-Style Tofu Cream:
7 oz. silken tofu, drained
14 oz. soft tofu, drained
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola or safflower oil
1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. sea salt
• Combine all the ingredients until smooth.
For Sage’s Chocolate Syrup:
(Use this syrup for chocolate milk, hot chocolate, shakes, and as a garnish for tiramisu and other wonderful desserts.)
5 1/2 oz. Rapunzel-brand cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 cups dehydrated cane sugar
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
• Blend all the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 10 minutes.
To Assemble Sage’s Tiramisu:
• Remove the vanilla cakes from the pans and remove the parchment paper.
• In a clean 9-inch-by-13-inch pan, place 1 sheet of vanilla cake and soak with 3/4 cup of the mocha rum sauce.
• When the sauce is fully absorbed into the cake, layer 1/3 of the tofu cream mixture and spread evenly.
• Place the other sheet of cake on top of the cream. Poke the layer with a fork to allow the sauce to infuse evenly.
• Slowly pour the last 1/2 cup of mocha rum sauce over the top sheet of cake. When the sauce has infused fully, place the rest of the tofu cream over the top and spread evenly.
• Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or until firm. Garnish each portion with Sage’s Chocolate Syrup and ground cinnamon.
Makes 12 servings