1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup burgundy wine
1/4 cup minced garlic
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp. ground rosemary
2 tsp. ground brown mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp. sea salt
8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
• Purée all the ingredients, except the mushrooms, in a blender until smooth.
• Marinate the mushrooms overnight.
• Preheat the broiler on the highest setting.
• Place the mushrooms and 2 to 4 Tbsp. of the marinade into a thin roasting pan. The mushrooms should not be deeper than 2 mushroom slices. You can also use a soufflé dish or a stainless-steel baking pan.
• Portion some of Sage’s Carrot Butter Pâté in either the same roasting pan or in a separate roaster. Broil both the mushrooms and the carrot butter for approximately 8 minutes.
• Serve with toasted baguette slices.
Makes 8 to 10 servings