Rosemary-Black Olive FocacciaPrint
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 (1/4-oz.) pkg. active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. sliced black olives
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with salt and flour, stirring well to combine. Stir in additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all the flour is absorbed, forming a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 1 minute.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and coat with 1 Tbsp. of the oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Deflate the dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Pat or roll into a sheet and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Drizzle with the rest of the olive oil and sprinkle with the rosemary, black olives, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on desired crispness. For a moist, fluffy focaccia, bake for about 10 minutes. For a crispier focaccia, bake for about 20 minutes.