1 small aubergine, sliced
1 medium courgette, sliced
1 red onion, cut into small wedges
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 individual pizza bases or pitta breads
150ml tomato sauce
Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C/ Gas Mark 7.
Combine the vegetables, oil, vinegar, thyme and pepper in a large baking dish and toss to mix well. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Set aside.
Place the pizza shells or cut flatbread on baking sheets. Spread about 2 tbsp. of the tomato sauce on each base or piece of pitta, then top with the roasted vegetables. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Pizza toppings are limited only by your imagination! Here are some quick ideas:
• Chop up whatever veggies are on hand and drizzle some olive oil or crushed tomatoes over them.
• Try new ideas for toppings like crumbled tofu, sun-dried tomatoes, beans, spinach or even sweetcorn.
• Add different sauces like pesto or red pepper and garlic purée or no sauce at all.
• Get creative with fake meats – slice up some veggie bacon or pepperoni substitute.
• Try nutritional yeast for a great cheesy taste.
• For a Mexican pizza, try refried beans, tomatoes and salsa on an unbaked crust!
Makes 4 servings