For the Tempeh:
1 lb. tempeh, cut into 4 portions
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup wheat-free tamari
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
3 garlic cloves, minced
• Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and drop in the tempeh. Cook for about 10 minutes. (Tempeh has a mildly bitter flavor that boiling will remove.)
• Meanwhile, mix together the vegetable stock, tamari, rice vinegar, bay leaves, rosemary, and garlic.
• Place the tempeh in a baking pan and pour the liquid mixture on top. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes in a 350°F oven, turning once halfway through. Remove from the oven but leave the tempeh in the pan to soak up the remainder of the liquid while it cools to ensure moist tempeh.
• After the liquid is absorbed, reheat in the oven until slightly browned on the edges, about 10 minutes or less.
For the Dijon Sauce:
1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy milk
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. brown rice syrup
1 tsp. orange zest
• Mix together all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
• Cook for 20 minutes, until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
• Pour over the tempeh.
Makes 4 servings