4 medium eggplants
2 yellow onions, cut into quarters
3 red peppers
1 cup garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
5 cups vegetable stock
2 cups soy milk
3/4 cup tamari
1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground coriander, toasted
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
Salt, pepper, and tamari, to taste
• Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
• Coat the eggplant, onions, red peppers, and garlic with the olive oil. Using a separate baking sheet for each vegetable (because they will cook at different rates), roast until browned and soft. Remove from the oven and let cool.
• Peel the skins off the eggplant and peel and seed the red peppers, reserving the liquid from the peppers. Discard the skins.
• In a blender, purée the eggplant, onions, red peppers, garlic, vegetable stock, and reserved pepper liquid. Pour into a large pot.
• Add the soy milk, tamari, balsamic vinegar, coriander, and thyme and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes. If very thick, add more soy milk or vegetable stock. Season with the salt, pepper, and tamari.
Makes 8 to 10 servings