2 oz. olive oil
12 oz. finely diced mixed vegetables: yellow and green zucchini; red, green and yellow peppers; eggplant; skinned and seeded tomatoes
2 oz. diced onions
1 oz. minced garlic
2 oz. chopped fresh herbs: basil, parsley, oregano and crushed coriander seeds
8 pasta circles, 41/2 inches in diameter
4 oz. sliced shallots
Canola oil for sautéing
1 oz. granulated sugar
1 oz. red wine vinegar
10 oz. red bell peppers, seeded
1 oz. chopped onion
1/2 oz. chopped garlic
1/4 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 bay leaves
Cilantro leaves for garnish
• In a hot sauté pan, sauté the diced mixed vegetables in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Set aside to cool, then add the chopped herbs.
• Place 4 pasta circles on wax paper and top each with 1/4 of the sautéed vegetables. Cover with the remaining pasta circles. Moisten the edges of the circles with water and press together firmly to seal. Cook lightly in salted water, until the ravioli rise to the top of the pot. Remove from the water and keep warm until ready to serve.
• To make the confit, sauté the shallots in the canola oil in a small sauté pan. Sprinkle with the sugar and cook until browned. Deglaze with the vinegar and cook until soft.
• In a saucepan, cook the red peppers, onion, garlic, cumin and bay leaves with a little water until soft. Remove the bay leaf. Blend in a blender and then strain.
• Warm four dinner plates and place one ravioli in the center of each. Top with a spoonful of the shallot confit. Spoon the red pepper sauce around the ravioli and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Makes 4 servings