Rainbow Lemon Buttercream FrostingPrint
- 1 1/2 cups vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 cups vegan shortening
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 lemons
- 1/4–1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch salt
- Vegan food coloring (optional)
- Cream the vegan margarine and shortening together, then add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and mix again.
- Add the zest and juice from the lemons and mix.
- Continue mixing while alternating adding 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp. soy milk until a fluffy but firm consistency is reached. Add the vanilla and salt and mix again.
- Separate the batter into as many bowls as you’d like for coloring and add food coloring to each bowl.
- Frost your cake with a spatula. If you’d like, add the frosting to piping bags to decorate, too.
Makes 9 cups
Adapted from baker and cake decorator Ashley Shotwell’s recipe.