4-5 Tbsp. fake chicken broth
5 cups water, hot or boiling
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup flour
2/3 cup oil
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups white potatoes, cut into small pieces
1 cup frozen or canned corn kernels, drained
1 cup frozen or canned peas, drained
1 cup frozen or canned diced carrots, drained
1 lb. vegetarian chicken, cubed (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chick’n Strips)
2 boxes Pepperidge Farm puff pastry shells or sheets
• Add the fake chicken broth to the hot water to make stock, and set aside.
• In a large pot, combine the yeast and flour. Place over low heat, stirring constantly until lightly toasted (be careful not to burn). Add the oil, stirring to make a thick batter. Slowly add the stock, stirring with a whisk until thick. Add more water if it is too thick. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and stir well.
• Add all the veggies and the vegetarian chicken. Heat through.
• Take the mixture and fill (to overflowing) the puff pastry shells, or two 9″ pie crusts (prepared according to the box directions), and cook until the pastry is done. A traditional pie crust can also be used.
• This holiday recipe makes a large amount. For just one pie, cut the ingredients in half.
Makes 2 pies