240 pecan halves
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine (try Earth Balance brand)
1 1/8 cups brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 cup silken tofu
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
• Arrange 60 groups of 4 pecan halves, each group in a star pattern, on nonstick aluminum foil.
• Melt the 1/2 cup of margarine in a small pot over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, salt, and corn syrup.
• In a blender, purée the soy milk and tofu. Add to the pot.
• Cook to 245°F, or until a test amount forms a firm ball when dropped into a cup of ice-cold water. Stir in the vanilla and remove from the heat.
• Pour 1 Tbsp. over the center of each pecan star.
• Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips together with the 1 Tbsp. of margarine. Drizzle on top of the pecan stars, spreading evenly with the back of a teaspoon. Let cool.
Makes 60 pieces