1/2 head garlic (about 6 cloves)
1/2 large eggplant, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 small onion, cut into bite-sized chunks
10-12 baby bella or cremini mushrooms, quartered
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
16 oz. penne (or other bite-sized pasta)
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1-2 tsp. fresh thyme
Crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
Vegan Parmesan or nutritional yeast, to taste
• Pre-heat the oven to 400° F.
• Peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half.
• Spread the eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, onion, mushrooms, and garlic cloves on a flat pan, baking dish, or cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and salt and pepper and toss. Roast for 25 to 35 minutes, turning the vegetables once during cooking, until they are soft and have crispy edges.
• Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and rinse.
• Toss the pasta with the roasted vegetables, tomatoes, fresh thyme, red pepper if desired, and the remaining olive oil.
• Serve warm (or at room temperature) with vegan Parmesan or nutritional yeast flakes.
Makes 6 servings