1/2 cup groundnut oil
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped shallots
2 oz. pickled white radish
1 cup chopped tofu
3 dried red chilies
11 oz. rice noodles
4 Tbsp. tamarind juice or white vinegar
Salt, to taste
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 lb. bean sprouts
2 oz. shredded Chinese leek leaves
1/2 cup crushed roasted peanuts
1 Tbsp. chopped coriander
1 Tbsp. chopped spring onions
• Heat 3 Tbsp. of the oil and sauté the garlic and shallots for 1 minute.
• Add the pickled radish, tofu, and dried chilies and stir well.
• Place 3 Tbsp. of the oil, the rice noodles, and enough water to cover in a large bowl. Drain when soft. Stir in the tamarind juice or white vinegar.
• Add the salt, sugar, half of the bean sprouts, and the Chinese leek to the tofu mixture and stir. Add 1/4 cup of the peanuts.
• Spoon onto plates. Sprinkle with the remaining peanuts, the coriander, and the spring onions and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings