For the covering:
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp. vegetable oil
100 mL cold water
• Sift the flour and salt.
• Add oil and mix properly with your fingers.
• Add water gradually and keep mixing with your fingers till you get a firm dough.
• Cover with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for half an hour.
For the filling:
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
1 garlic clove, chopped finely
1 tsp. grated ginger or ginger juice
1 green chili, chopped finely
1 onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 carrot, chopped finely into tiny cubes
1 potato, chopped finely into tiny cubes
3 fluid oz/90ml water
salt to taste
1/4 tsp. garam masala
• Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds.
• Add the garlic, ginger, green chili and onions and stir for a minute.
• Add the cabbage, carrots and potatoes and stir again.
• Add some water and cook covered for about 7-8 minutes until the vegetables become soft and the water is dried up.
• Add the salt and garam masala and stir well.
• Remove from heat and keep aside.
For the salad:
½ cup fine strips of cabbage
½ cup fine strips of carrots
¼ tsp. lemon juice
Salt to taste
• Mix together all of the ingredients.
• Divide the dough into three portions.
• Take one portion and make a ball of it and flatten it on your rolling board.
• Roll evenly with a rolling pin trying to get a square of about 9-inches. (If the dough sticks to the rolling board then cover both the sides with some dry flour and roll again.)
• Cut this square into 9 small squares of about 3-inches.
• Put approximately 1½ tsp. filling in each square.
• Lift one corner of the square and join it to the opposite corner to form a triangle.
• Use water to glue the sides together.
• Join the three corners of the triangle and gently twist to the tip.
• If the side are not stuck together, reseal them with water.
• Momos can be made into different shapes like little moneybags or envelopes.
• Similarly prepare all the momos.
• Steam the momos for about 15 minutes until they are swollen.
• Place the salad in the center of the serving dish and arrange the hot momos on the sides.
• Serve with tomato chutney as a dip.
If you do not have a steamer, here is an easy way to steam the momos:
Take a big pan with a tight lid. Arrange the momos in a steel plate. Put about 2 cups water in the pan. Place a steel bowl in the pan and put the plate of momos on it. Cover the lid and steam for about 12 minutes on medium flame.
Makes 4 servings