10 chilies (try a variety)
1/3 cup almonds, toasted
1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 cup raisins
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
Canola oil, as needed
1 ripe plantain, cut into 1.2-inch slices
2 plum tomatoes, halved
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. chocolate, shaved
2-3 cups vegetable stock
Salt, to taste
1 lb. faux chicken, cut into slices (try Morningstar Farms Chick’n Strips)
and grilled or broiled
• Roast the chilies in a 350°F oven for 2 minutes. Remove the seeds and ribs then simmer in water for 10 minutes. Drain.
• Grind the almonds and sesame seeds to a fine powder.
• Soak the raisins in warm water for 10 minutes. Drain.
• Sauté the garlic in oil until golden. Remove and set aside.
• Sauté the plantains in the same pan until golden. Set aside.
• Broil the tomatoes (skin side up) until slightly blackened.
• Place all the prepared ingredients, except for the faux chicken, in a food processor and blend to form a thick paste.
• Fry the paste in oil. Add the cinnamon and chocolate. Add 11/2 cups stock. Simmer for 15 minutes.
• Pour the mixture through a food mill, return it to the pan, and season with salt. Add more stock, 1/2 cup at a time, to thin the sauce. Add the faux chicken. Serve.
Makes 4 servings