Mock ‘Corned Beef’ and CabbagePrint
- 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage
- 5 carrots, shredded
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. English-style hot mustard
- 1/2 tsp. mild horseradish
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 8 oz. prepared seitan, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions until soft, then add the cabbage, carrots, 1 cup of the vegetable broth, mustard, horseradish, and vinegar and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the seitan, salt, and pepper and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the vegetables and seitan to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and keep them warm in the oven.
- Mix the flour with the water, add to the pot with 2 cups of the broth (add more water if necessary), and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the gravy over the cabbage mixture in the serving dish. Garnish with the parsley and serve.
Makes 4 servings.