Mayim Bialik’s Tomato Soup With Israeli Couscous RecipePrint
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 1 14-oz can chopped tomatoes
- 6 1/4 cups vegan vegetable stock
- 1-1 1/2 cups uncooked Israeli couscous
- 2-3 mint sprigs, chopped, or several pinches dried mint
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 5 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and carrots, and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, couscous, mint, cumin, cilantro, and half the chopped garlic.
- Bring to a boil, add the remaining garlic, then lower the heat slightly and simmer gently for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the couscous is just tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe was adapted from ‘Mayim’s Vegan Table: More Than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes From My Family to Yours’ by Mayim Bialik with Dr. Jay Gordon. Reprinted courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Books.