- 3 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1-2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Paprika, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat. Whisk in the flour.
- Continue whisking over medium heat until smooth and bubbly.
- Whisk in the boiling water, salt, soy sauce, garlic powder, and turmeric.
- Continue whisking until dissolved. Once thick and bubbling, whisk in the oil and the nutritional yeast flakes.
- Mix 3/4 of the sauce with the noodles and place in a casserole dish. Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Broil for a few minutes until crisp.
Makes 5 servings