1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable broth
Up to 1-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce or tamari
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 4-ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Combine the yeast and the flour in a medium saucepan.
• Place the mixture over low heat stirring until lightly toasted.
• Slowly add the broth, stirring to make a thick batter.
• Add water 1/4 cup at a time until the sauce is smooth and slightly thick.
• Add the remaining ingredients — except for the macaroni
• Stir well.
• Place the cooked macaroni in a casserole dish and stir in the sauce.
• Bake for 30 minutes or until the sauce bubbles.
Makes 4 to 6 servings