2 15-oz. cans cooked black beans
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. diced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. kosher salt
1-4 cups masa de harina (a traditional Spanish “dough flour”)
Tomatillo salsa for garnish
Slivered red onions for garnish
• Rinse and drain the black beans in a colander. Heat 1 Tbsp. of the canola oil over medium heat in a sauté pan.
• Cook the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt until the onions are tender.
• Combine the beans and the sautéed onion mixture in a medium bowl with a potato masher. Slowly add the masa de harina and continue mashing to form dough.
• Divide into 12 balls and form into little cakes.
• Place a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the remaining canola oil and sauté the Love Cakes for approximately 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until dark brown and crisp.
• Garnish with the salsa and the red onions.
Makes 6 servings