This recipe has been adapted from one in Linda McCartney’s Family Kitchen, which describes the dish as follows: “Quick and easy, French toast was a favourite treat when we were children and we still love it today. Linda used the irresistible flavours of cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup in her recipe and, when topped with fruit for a burst of juiciness, this makes a really luxurious special breakfast. It’s the perfect way to use up slightly stale bread.”
Linda McCartney’s French ToastPrint
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose or chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 thick slices soft whole wheat, white, or gluten-free bread
- Coconut oil, for frying
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, vegan milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined and lump-free.
- Pour the mixture into a wide, flat dish. One by one, dip the slices of bread into the mixture, leaving them for 10 to 15 seconds on each side, so they’re soft but not falling apart.
- Warm 2 teaspoonfuls of the coconut oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add 2 or 3 slices of bread and fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden and slightly crispy. Fry the remaining bread in the same way, adding more coconut oil to the pan as needed.
- Serve with maple syrup and the toppings of your choice (like fresh fruit, jam, or nondairy yogurt).
Makes 6 servings
Adapted from LINDA MCCARTNEY’S FAMILY KITCHEN. Recipes and additional text copyright © 2021 by Linda Enterprises Ltd. Photography by Issy Croker. Used by permission of Voracious, an imprint of Little, Brown and Company. New York, N.Y. All rights reserved.
PETA is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide websites with a means to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.