For the Crust:
1 cup organic spelt or whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. non-aluminum baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup organic hi-oleic safflower oil
1/4 cup organic amasake
1/2 tsp. organic almond extract
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
• In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
• Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined, forming a dough. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan.
• Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
For the Filling:
2 cups organic apple juice
Pinch of sea salt
1 Tbsp. agar-agar flakes
1 Tbsp. organic kuzu, dissolved in 2 Tbsp. spring or filtered water
1/4 cup fresh organic lemon juice, or more to taste
1/2 tsp. fresh organic lemon zest
Fresh organic mint leaves for garnish
Fresh organic berries for garnish
• Place the juice in a saucepan and add the salt. Sprinkle the agar-agar flakes on top and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
• Slowly bring to a boil, stirring frequently once warmed. Boil, stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the agar-agar flakes have dissolved.
• Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add the dissolved kuzu, stirring constantly to prevent lumping.
• Raise the heat to medium and stir until thick and clear. Remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice and zest, stirring well. Let cool slightly, about 10 to 15 minutes.
• Pour into the prepared crust. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to set.
• Garnish with the mint leaves and the berries.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
• Serve with tofu cream and fresh raspberries.
• Use key lime juice and agave syrup sweetener, to taste, in place of the lemon for a key lime tart.