1 lb. soft or medium Chinese-style tofu, drained and cut into 8 slices
1 cup Hollandaise Sauce (see recipe)
1 tsp. + 2 Tbsp. Roasted Garlic Oil (see recipe) or nondairy margarine
8 slices vegetarian ham or bacon (Yves brand Canadian Veggie Bacon is a good choice)
4 3-inch squares focaccia bread, sliced in half
1 bunch fresh spinach, steamed
8 slices tomato
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Basic Tofu Marinade
14-16 oz. Chinese-style tofu, drained
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 cup soy milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon
1/8 tsp. turmeric
Pinch white pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. kuzu, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
Roasted Garlic Oil
1 cup peeled garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. crushed red chilies
• Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Marinate the tofu in Basic Tofu Marinade in a baking dish for 20 to 30 minutes. Bake the tofu with the marinade for 20 minutes.
• Meantime prepare Hollandaise Sauce as described at the end of the recipe.
• Heat 1 tsp. of Roasted Garlic Oil in a skillet and lightly sauté the vegetarian ham or bacon slices on each side.
• Toast the focaccia bread and lightly brush with Roasted Garlic Oil or spread with margarine. Place two slices of focaccia on a plate and top with sautéed vegetarian ham or bacon slice, a baked tofu slice, and steamed spinach. Then top with Hollandaise Sauce, and finally a tomato slice. Garnish with chopped parsley.
For the Basic Tofu Marinade:
• Slice the tofu into 6 or 8 slices. Place in a baking dish, trying not to overlap.
• In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, and ginger. Pour over the tofu slices. Let marinate 20 to 30 minutes.
• You can keep the tofu in the marinade up to 24 hours before the flavor becomes too strong.
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
• Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the shallots until translucent and lightly browned. Put in a blender with 1/2 cup of the soy milk and blend well.
• Pour back into the pan and whisk in the remaining ingredients except the kuzu. Add the kuzu-water mixture and stir until thickened.
For the Roasted Garlic Oil:
• Preheat the oven to 425º F.
• Place all the ingredients in a small baking dish such as a loaf pan (10x5x3 inches). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
• Serve warm or let cool before putting in a jar to refrigerate. This will keep up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Makes 4 servings