12 pieces combination wheat and white bread
1 yellow onion
3 celery stalks
1 tsp. olive oil
2 pkgs. soy sausage (try Gimme Lean brand)
2 cups faux-chicken stock
1 packet poultry-seasoning herbs (fresh sage, rosemary, thyme, etc.)
Sprigs fresh thyme for garnish
• Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
• Tear the bread into bite-size pieces and spread on the cookie sheet. Bake until toasted. Transfer to a large bowl.
• In a food processor, chop the onion and celery.
• In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and sauté the onion and celery for 1 minute
• Break the “sausage” into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan, stirring often. Add 2 Tbsp. of the stock and let simmer for a few minutes, until the “sausage” is slightly browned.
• Add the spices and cook for a couple of minutes.
• Pour over the breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly. Add enough of the remaining stock to dampen the bread. Spread into a 9- x 13-inch baking pan and place several sprigs of fresh thyme on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings