12 whole jalapeño peppers
1 cup vegan cream cheese
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cornmeal, divided
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup plain soy milk
• Cut each jalapeño from end to end and remove the stem from the top. Using a small knife (or running water), remove the seeds, but be careful not to split the peppers completely.
• Stuff each pepper with approximately 1/2 Tbsp. vegan cream cheese and set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 2 Tbsp. cornmeal, and the salt and pepper. Stir in the soy milk and set aside.
• In another small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup cornmeal.
• Dip each pepper into the flour mixture, then into the batter, and then back into the flour, so that there is a thick layer of batter on the peppers.
• Drop the peppers into vegetable oil that has been heated to 375˚F and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, being careful not to burn.
• Remove the cooked peppers from the oil and let drain on paper towels.
Makes 12 jalapeños