1 1/4-oz. pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 cups unbleached flour
Egg Replacer equivalent of 1 egg
1 Tbsp. margarine (try Earth Balance brand)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
1 cup chopped veggie ham (try Ives brand)
1 cup shredded soy mozzarella cheese
4 oz. diced pimientos, drained
1/2 cup black olives, drained and chopped
• In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the flour, egg replacer, margarine, sugar, and salt. Mix well. After a dough forms, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
• Lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. In a medium bowl, combine the veggie ham, soy cheese, pimientos, and olives. Set aside.
• Gently punch down the dough. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a 10×14-inch rectangle. Make parallel cuts 3/4-inch wide and 2 inches long on the two long edges of the rectangle. Evenly spread the veggie ham mixture over the center of the rectangle. Fold the short ends of the rectangle over the filling. Starting from one of these ends, alternately stretch strips from the two sides across the filling so that the strips overlap diagonally.
• Transfer the loaf to a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
• Bake at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 12 servings