2 pkg. extra-firm tofu, or beefless tips
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
2 shallots minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
3 Tbsp. brown rice syrup or molasses
2 Tbsp. tamarind concentrate
1 tsp. cayenne
1 Tbsp. ancho chili powder
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- Cut each block of tofu into 4 slabs, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat the margarine in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except the tofu and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place the mixture in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Let cool and pour over the tofu. Let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the grill and grill each side of the tofu until you get some nice-looking grill marks. While grilling, reheat the marinade in a sauce pan. Remove the tofu from the grill, brush each side with the tamarind sauce, and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings