French Fry Corn Dog (Korean Street Food, ‘Veganized’)Print
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 Tbsp. water (or other egg replacer equivalent of 1 egg)
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 4 wooden skewers
- 4 vegan hot dogs
- 3 cups frozen crinkle-cut French fries
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, paprika, mustard, flaxseed mixture, and nondairy milk. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil to 350°F in a deep fryer or a deep pot.
- Insert one skewer into a vegan hot dog (at least halfway), coat with the cornmeal batter and French fries. Fry in the oil immediately for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining hot dogs.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on a paper towel–lined plate and enjoy with your favorite condiments.
Makes 4 servings
Note: PETA promotes a healthy plant-based lifestyle. This recipe is a special treat just to prove that anything can be made vegan. If you choose to enjoy this dish, please do so in moderation.