8 Tbsp. (1 stick) margarine
2 large portobello mushrooms
2 Tbsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 small red or yellow bell peppers, chopped
1 small zucchini (courgette), chopped
1/2 cup fresh peas
1 cup sprouts
1 Tbsp. finely chopped basil or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. white pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
For the sauce:
1/3 cup chopped shallots or onions
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup dry white wine or vegetable broth
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp. grated orange peel
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
• In a large skillet, melt 2 Tbsp. of the margarine over medium heat and cook the mushrooms with the Worcestershire sauce for 4 minutes, turning once. Remove the mushrooms and arrange them on a baking sheet.
• In the same skillet, melt 2 more Tbsp. margarine over medium-high heat and brown the garlic and pine nuts. Add the bell peppers and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost tender. Stir in the remaining vegetables, basil, salt, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Evenly spoon the vegetable mixture onto the mushrooms. Bake 10 minutes.
• For the sauce, melt the remaining margarine over medium heat and cook the shallots for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until just golden. Stir in the soy milk, wine, orange juice and orange peel. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Strain.
• To serve, spoon the sauce over the mushrooms.
Makes 2 servings.