6 cups dried black beans
Water sufficient to cover the beans plus 10 cups
1/4 cup dried epazote
4 bay leaves
1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
2 large zucchinis, diced
1 large red onion, diced
28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup minced peeled garlic
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz. unsweetened vegan chocolate
2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
2 jalapeño peppers
Salt, to taste
1/4 cup lime juice
• Clean and rinse the beans. Place in a large stockpot and cover with water.
• Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let rest for 1 hour.
• Drain and rinse. Return to the stockpot and add the remaining water.
• Place the epazote and the bay leaves in a tea pouch and add to the beans.
• Bring to a boil and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
• Add the remaining ingredients, except the salt and the lime juice, and cook until thickened and the beans are soft.
• Add the salt and lime juice.
Makes 12 to 14 servings