- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. oil (or a mixture of oil and water to reduce fat)
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 11 oz. tomato-mushroom sauce
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups matzo farfel
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sauté the onions in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Combine onions, eggplant, green pepper, tomato-mushroom sauce, and seasonings. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Stir in tomatoes.
- In a 2-quart baking dish, arrange in alternate layers the vegetables and matzo farfel. Begin and end with the vegetables.
- Bake (uncovered) for 25 minutes.
Makes 6-8 servings