12 sun-dried tomato halves
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 Tbsp. finely chopped green bell pepper
4 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
4 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise (try Nayonaise or Veganaise brand)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder or 1 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. paprika
3 whole-wheat pita breads
6 slices mozzarella soy cheese
• Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
• Pour boiling water over the tomato halves, let sit for 10 minutes, then drain and chop.
• In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher. Add the green pepper, onion, mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic, and paprika and mix well.
• Divide each piece of pita bread into 2 round halves and place on baking sheets. Spread 1/6 of the chickpea mixture on each piece of bread and top with the tomatoes. Bake for 7 minutes.
• Top each pita half with 1 slice of soy cheese and bake for 3 more minutes. Serve open-faced.
Makes 3 servings