6 sun-dried tomato halves
1/3 cup roasted red peppers (about 2 peppers)
4 roasted garlic cloves, chopped or mashed
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 sweet baguette or Italian loaf, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
• Pour boiling water over the sun-dried tomatoes and set aside until softened, about 30 minutes.
• Pour off the water (it can be saved and used in place of vegetable stock in other recipes) and coarsely chop the tomatoes.
• Chop the roasted red peppers and add to the tomatoes, along with the garlic, basil, and pepper. Let stand 30 minutes.
• Place the bread on a baking sheet and toast in an oven heated to 350°F until the outside is crisp—10 to 15 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and cool slightly, then spread each piece with the tomato mixture.
Makes 4 servings