For the Crepes:
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup water
4 Tbsp. nondairy margarine, melted
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
Oil, for frying
For the “Cream” Filling and Tart Cherry Sauce:
8 oz. nondairy cream cheese (try Tofutti brand—www.tofutti.com), softened
1 1/4 cup of sugar, divided
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups frozen, pitted cherries
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
• In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, blend together the soy milk, water, nondairy margarine, sugar, maple syrup, and salt. Add the flour and mix again. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
• Lightly oil a small nonstick skillet or crepe pan and place it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, pour in 1/4 cup of the batter and swirl it until it covers the entire bottom of the pan. Cook the crepe until it is golden then flip it and cook the other side.
• To make the “cream” filling, whip together the nondairy cream cheese, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and the juice and zest of the lemon.
• To make the cherry sauce, combine the cherries, the remaining sugar, and the cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar melts and the sauce thickens. Allow it to cool before serving with the crepes.
• Drizzle one or both sauces, to taste, onto the crepes and serve.
Makes 12 to 14 crepes