For the Cake:
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp. Egg Replacer
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup vegan sour cream (try Tofutti brand)
1 tsp. almond extract
7-oz. can whole cranberry sauce
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
For the Glaze:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. warm water
1/2 tsp. almond extract
• Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a tube pan.
• In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar.
• In a small bowl, mix the applesauce with the egg replacer and add to the margarine-sugar mixture.
• In another bowl, combine the baking powder, baking soda, flour, and salt.
• Alternating, add the dry ingredients and the vegan sour cream to the margarine mixture. Add the almond extract.
• Pour 1/2 into the bottom of the prepared pan. Add 1/2 of the cranberry sauce, spreading over the batter. Add the remaining batter and top with remaining cranberry sauce, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with the nuts.
• Cook for 50 to 55 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
• To make the glaze, combine all the ingredients until smooth. Pour over the cake.
Makes 8 to 10 servings