2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for flouring the pan
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, plus extra for greasing the pan
16 ounces (1 box) light brown sugar
Egg Replacer equivalent to 3 large eggs
1 12-oz. bag chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts and/or 1/2 cup flake coconut, optional
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Grease and lightly flour a 9”x 13” glass baking dish.
• Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
• Melt the margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and combine with brown sugar in a bowl. Mix in the egg replacer, 1/3 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sifted flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate and the nuts and/or coconut, if desired.
• Spread the dough into the prepared baking dish. Bake until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, usually 30 to 35 minutes, but start testing at 20 minutes.
• Place on a rack to cool for about 20 minutes.
• Cut into 18 bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Makes 18 servings