3 14-oz. cans coconut milk (approximately 5 cups)
2 Tbsp. agar-agar flakes
2-3 vanilla beans
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
• In a medium saucepan, use a wire whisk to combine the coconut milk, agar-agar, vanilla beans, and sea salt.
• Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until the agar-agar is completely dissolved, stirring often.
• Remove from the heat and discard the vanilla beans.
• Stir in the vanilla extract and the maple syrup. Pour into a shallow pan and cool in the refrigerator for approximately 25 minutes, or until firm.
• In a blender, combine small amounts of the milk mixture and the coconut oil until creamy. Repeat until the remaining milk mixture and oil have been blended.
• Pour into a bowl and stir, adding additional maple syrup and vanilla if desired.
• Pour into an ice-cream machine and churn until firm.
Makes 1 quart