Cinnamon Peach Skillet Rolls with Peach GlazePrint
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring surfaces
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. applesauce
- 1 tsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Coconut oil, for greasing
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peaches, defrosted
- 1/2 cup peach juice from the frozen peaches
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Whisk together the water, yeast, and 2 tablespoonfuls of the sugar in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt, olive oil, applesauce, flaxseed, and vanilla with an electric handheld mixer using bread hooks. Pour the yeast into the flour mixture and blend until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and incorporate all the dry ingredients. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Grease a cast-iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a 10-inch-by-18-inch rectangle. Brush with the melted vegan margarine and sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Place the peach slices in a single layer over the dough. Roll the dough into a tube and cut into 1 1/2–inch slices using a knife with a serrated blade or a cheese wire. Gently tuck the loose end under the roll. Place all the slices into the skillet so they are touching. Roll any leftover dough into little balls that you can tuck into any open spots between the rolls.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking, whisk together the peach juice and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Let the rolls cool for 15 minutes, then drizzle with the peach glaze. Let cool for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Warning/promise: These are sticky.
Adapted from the book Mastering the Art of Vegan Cooking by Annie and Dan Shannon. © 2015 by Annie and Dan Shannon. Reprinted by permission of Grand Central Life & Style. All rights reserved.