4 tsp. vegetable oil 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
1-inch cinnamon stick
1 dry whole red chili, broken in pieces
1 1/4 cup onion paste (see below)
3/4 cup tomato purée
1 lb. cooked chickpeas
Salt, to taste
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
1/2 tsp. garam masala
1/2 tsp. dried mango powder (amchoor)
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 small onion, finely chopped
Fresh coriander, chopped
• Heat 4 tsp. oil in a pan.
• Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, red chili, and onion paste.
• Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often.
• Add the tomato purée and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often.
• Add the chickpeas, salt, turmeric powder, and water and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
• Remove from heat.
• Heat 2 tsp. of oil in another pan.
• Add coriander powder, garam masala, dried mango powder, and chili powder and stir for a minute.
• Add the roasted spices to the chickpeas, stir, and cook for 2 more minutes.
• Add water (if necessary) to get the required consistency. Stir well and bring to a boil.
• Pour into a serving dish and serve hot with rice or Indian bread. Garnish with onions and coriander.
• For the onion paste, chop the onions coarsely and blend them in a blender to a smooth paste by adding enough water.
Makes 4 servings