For the Crust:
2 2/3 cups whole almonds
2 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) soy margarine
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
• Ground the almonds in a food processor. Add the dry ingredients and pulse to combine, then add the wet ingredients and pulse to combine.
• Press into 4 shells. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 7 to 10 minutes. Cool for 1 hour.
For the Ganache:
6 cups soy milk
1 vanilla bean, scraped and pod discarded
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. Earl Grey tea
5 cups vegan chocolate chips (try 70 percent Valrhona chocolate)
• In a bowl, combine the soy milk and vanilla bean scraping. Set aside.
• Bring the water to a simmer. Add the tea and steep for 15 minutes. Strain and then pore over the chocolate.
• Stir in the soy milk mixture until dissolved.
• Pour into the pre-baked crusts and let cool for 3 to 4 hours.
Makes 4 large tarts