1 1/2 cups unbleached flour, sifted
4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup freshly ground flaxseeds or 1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. vinegar
5 Tbsp. vegan margarine
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup seedless raspberry all-fruit jam
Powdered sugar for garnish
• Preheat the oven to 325°F.
• In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
• In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except the raspberry jam and the powdered sugar, with a mixer on high speed until smooth.
• Make a divot in the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients in and gently mix together until just combined.
• Pour into a small, lightly greased cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.
• Slice in half widthwise. Spread the top of the bottom half with the raspberry jam and place the other half back on top. Sift powdered sugar over the top.
Makes 8 to 10 servings