For the Barbecue Sauce:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 lb. onion, diced
2 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
2 tsp. strong Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. molasses
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. salt
2 tsp. chipotle paste
2 qts. ketchup
• Heat the oil in medium saucepan.
• Add the onions and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
• Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
• Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well, and bring to a slow simmer.
• Stirring often, allow to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until thickened.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. extra-firm tofu
2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 red peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/2 lbs. whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb. whole crimini mushrooms
15 Mexican fiesta or bamboo skewers
1/4 cup olive oil
• Thread the tofu, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the skewers.
• Brush with the olive oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are softened and the seitan is browned.
• Brush with the prepared barbecue sauce and cook for 2 minutes on each side to caramelize.
• Brush with additional sauce and serve immediately.
Makes 15 skewers