1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 pkg. faux-chicken strips (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 lb. assorted mushrooms (try crimini, portobello, shiitake, or any other variety)
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
12 flour tortillas
2 cups shredded vegan Monterey Jack cheese (try Follow Your Heart brand)
Oil for cooking the quesadillas
• Heat the oil in a large sauté pan; add the strips and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until browned and crispy. Remove from the oil and set aside.
• Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
• Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté on medium-high heat for 8 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened and released their liquid. (Note: You may add additional oil if the mushrooms become dry during cooking.)
• Place the chili powder, cumin, salt, and cilantro in the pan and mix well; remove from the heat.
• Lay out 6 tortillas and evenly spread the cooked mixture onto each tortilla. (Note: If there is residual liquid, pick the mushrooms up out of the liquid to prevent soggy quesadillas.)
• Sprinkle the “cheese” on top, cover with the remaining tortillas, and brush the tops lightly with vegetable oil.
• Heat a clean nonstick sauté pan and place one quesadilla at a time, oiled side down, into the heated pan. Brush oil on the dry side of the quesadilla.
• Cook for 3 minutes, or until browned. Flip and cook the other side. Repeat until all the ingredients are used.
• Cut each quesadilla into 4 segments and serve with salsa, guacamole, and vegan sour cream.
Alternate Cooking Method: Oil both sides of the quesadillas, place on a cookie sheet, and cook in a preheated 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crispy.
Makes 6 quesadillas