14 oz. mock chicken (try Worthington’s Chickette)
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup plain soy milk
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/4 cup mock chicken stock or vegetable stock (try Maggie’s Consommé)
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup nondairy cream
• Slice the mock chicken into small, round steaks.
• Pour 1/2 cup of the flour into a shallow dish. Pour 1/2 cup of the flour into a second shallow dish and add the cornmeal, paprika, salt, and pepper. Pour the soy milk into a third shallow dish.
• Dip the steaks into the soy milk and then into the plain flour. Dip into the soy milk again and then into the seasoned flour and cornmeal mixture.
• Add 2 Tbsp. of the oil to the heated skillet and cook 3 “steaks” at a time. Brown for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked. Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining oil and steaks.
• Add the remaining flour to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the stock and the parsley and season with the salt and pepper. Whisk the nondairy cream into the gravy. Remove from the heat when bubbling.
• Serve with warm biscuits topped with the gravy.
Makes 4 servings