Chef Joya’s Chicago-Style Italian Beef SandwichesPrint
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vegan beef bouillon
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. Red House seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 10- or 12-oz. bag dark, flat soy beef chunks
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 8-10 Italian sandwich rolls
- Hot giardiniera or hot sauce (optional)
- In a medium pot, combine the water, red wine, garlic, vegan beef bouillon, oregano, basil, Red House seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add the dark soy chunks to the broth mixture.
- Cook over high heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a hot skillet.
- Remove the soy chunks from the broth mixture and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Carefully add the soy chunks to the oil (it will spatter). Cook for about 4 minutes, or until nicely seared.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the onion, the peppers, and at least 1 cup of broth to the soy chunks. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the soy chunks become tender.
- To assemble the sandwich, place a generous amount of vegan beef and vegetables on an Italian sandwich roll. Add hot giardiniera or hot sauce, if desired.
- Spoon some of the broth over the sandwich or serve it on the side for dipping.
Adapted and published by permission of Chef Joya.