2 Tbsp. olive oil or water
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
1-1/4 cups cashews, ground
5 medium carrots, cooked and mashed
3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 vegetable bouillon cube dissolved in 3/4 cup hot water
3 heaping Tbsp. whole wheat flour
3 to 4 Tbsp. water
1 cup chestnut puree
1/2 tsp. salt
• Heat the oil or water in a medium frying pan over medium heat and cook the onions, garlic, and herbs until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
• Transfer the onion mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the cashews, mashed carrots, bread crumbs, and bouillon.
• In a small mixing bowl, whisk the flour and water together to make a smooth paste, using more or less water as needed. Add this to the cashew mixture.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan or mold.
• Place the chestnut purée and salt in a food processor and blend until well mixed.
• Spoon half of the cashew mixture into the bottom of the loaf pan. Spread the chestnut mixture on top of the cashew mixture, making sure the chestnut mixture stays clear of the sides. Then add the rest of the cashew mixture and press down. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the loaf is crisp on the outside.
• Allow the roast to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then serve with your favorite vegetarian gravy.
Makes 8 servings