1/2 cup currants
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups couscous
1 large carrot, diced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
• Place the currants, orange juice, lemon juice, 1/3 cup canola oil, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Set aside.
• Bring the water and 1 Tbsp. canola oil to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the couscous, then remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for about 6 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl, fluff with a fork, and let cool.
• Steam the carrot and bell pepper until they are brightly colored but still crunchy—about 3 minutes. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process and add to the couscous.
• Add the onion and parsley and stir.
• Shake the dressing again, pour it over the couscous mixture, and stir until well blended.
• Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
• Serve cold.
Makes 4 servings