2 Tbsp. margarine, melted
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large loaf rustic Italian bread, crusts removed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 tsp. salt, divided
1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce (available from veganstore.com)
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 heads romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1-2 Tbsp. nondairy parmesan “cheese” (ttry Soyco’s Soymage brand— at www.galaxyfoods.com)
• Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
• Combine the margarine and olive oil in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and toss until coated. Sprinkle them with 1 tsp. of the salt, 1/2 tsp. of the black pepper, and the cayenne pepper, and then toss again until evenly coated.
• Spread the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until croutons are golden—, about 10 minutes.
Allow them to cool completely cool on the tray.
• Meanwhile, for the salad dressing, place the remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper, garlic, lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, and olive oil into a food processor and process until smooth.
• Place the lettuce and croutons into a large bowl, add the salad dressing and non-dairy soy parmesan, and toss well to coat.
• Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings