1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups unbleached flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar (try Florida Crystals brand)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Vanilla soy ice cream
• Work the shortening into the flour and salt with a pastry blender or your hands. Add the warm water and stir until a dough forms. Roll out to thin rounds, 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
• Heat the oil in a shallow skillet until hot.
• Quarter each round and drop flat into the hot oil, browning lightly on each side, about 30 seconds. Remove from the skillet.
• Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the tortillas, to taste.
• Place a scoop of soy ice cream in the center of each tortilla and drizzle agave syrup over the ice cream. Serve immediately.
Makes 10 servings